Many people think that smoking helps them cope with stress, and they describe having a cigarette as like having a 5 minute escape from everything.
The reason the smoking feels good is because you're stepping away from the things that are causing you stress and breathing deeply. But you're also feeding the nicotine cravings and the smoke is causing you harm.
You can keep your 5 minute holidays but get them to work better for you. Try some of these things:
Get some fresh air and exercise
- Walk quickly around the block – it can help to clear your mind and stop the demands of your day getting on top of you.
- Do some stretching.
- Have a healthy snack, like a piece of fruit.
Have some quiet, de-stress time
- Make a hot drink and take it outside in the sun - sit somewhere new where you didn’t used to smoke.
- Read a book for 5 minutes.
- Stroke your cat or pat your dog.
- Breathe deeply.
- Meditate (there are heaps of classes on YouTube).
- Play your favourite tunes for 5 minutes.
- Make a paper aeroplane…and see how far you can fly it.
- Make a TikTok dance video.
- Swim or paddle (pool, beach, stream, river – anywhere that’s handy).
Catch up with people
- Phone a mate.
- Talk to your kids.